There are several bursas throughout the body and there is a very large one in the shoulder called the subacromial bursa. If this becomes damaged or inflamed this will lead to significant shoulder pain mostly around the top and outside aspect of the shoulder. Lifting your arm up and sleeping on your shoulder will be painful to do and these symptoms can last several weeks unless you seek advice from your Doctor or physical therapist.
Common sports that can cause this injury:
Common Signs & Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of this injury:
- Pain around the front and side of the shoulder
- Night pain due to the inflammatory process
- Pain when lying on your shoulder
What should be done following this injury:
- Consult your Doctor or chartered physical therapist
- Rest and ice the shoulder on a regular basis.
- Use ice or a reusable cold pack to reduce pain and swelling (the recommended time is 10 minutes on with 1 hour off). Never apply ice directly to the skin.
- Use a shoulder support to help rest the shoulder.