WHAT IS KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS?
Osteoarthritis of the knee is a very common condition. The main symptoms of osteoarthritis are pain, swelling and stiffness in the knee. These symptoms can come on gradually over time and are caused by wear and tear changes occurring in the cartilage that lines the knee joint. The cartilage gradually wears away leaving bone rubbing against bone and can lead the knee to become extremely sore and sometimes deformed. Eventually it may be necessary to have a knee replacement but before this there are many things that can be done to improve the pain and function of the knee.
Common activities that can lead to this condition:
- Previous knee injuries
Common Signs & Symptoms
The common signs and symptoms of this condition are:
- Pain in the knee
- Swelling around the knee
- Deformity of the knee joint
What should be done if you have this condition:
- Consult your GP- they may provide you with medication and advice
- Consult a chartered physiotherapist – they can provide you with lots of advice and exercises to help you manage your symptoms
- Use ice or a reusable cold pack to reduce the swelling (the recommended time is 10 minutes on with 1 hour off) Never apply ice directly to the skin.
- Use a support to help provide stabilization