De Quervains Tenosynovitis
What Is De Quervains Tenosynovitis?
This is a condition that affects the muscles that move the thumb causing pain and stiffness around the base of the thumb. The exact cause of this condition is not known but it will hurt every time you turn your wrist, grasp anything or make a fist. The tendons that are commonly affected are the extensor pollicis brevis and the abductor pollicis longus.
Common activities that can cause this condition:
Common Signs & Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of this condition:
- Pain around the base of the thumb when gripping
- Swelling around the base of the thumb
What you should do if you suffer from this condition:
- Consult with your Doctor
- Consult with a chartered physical therapist
- Use ice or a reusable cold pack to reduce pain and swelling (the recommended time is 10 minutes on with 1 hour off). Never apply ice directly to the skin.
- Try wearing a support to stop you from moving your thumb and wrist too much.